HB 1378 in Indiana Senate
Tomorrow, Thursday, February 25, 9:00am, the Indiana Senate will take up HB 1378, which requires the public retirement system to divest from businesses that engage in action or inaction to boycott, divest from, or sanction Israel. HB 1378 passed the Indiana House unanimously 93-0, and so now is the urgent time to contact our senators to urge them to reject this bill.
Click here to read a statement about HB 1378, based on a statement Indiana Jewish Voice for Peace chair, Mark Sniderman, and I authored for last spring's previous bill before the Indiana legislature. Our Indiana Center for Middle East Peace stands firmly on First Amendment guarantees of free speech and the time-honored traditions of non-violent boycott in support of human rights struggles. PLEASE READ THE STATEMENT.
Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions is not anti-Israel, anti-Jewish, nor anti-democratic (as the Fort Wayne Jewish Federation says). As a matter of fact, there are Jewish organizations in Indiana that reject the bill.
These are the organizations that signed on to the previous similar statement that we're hoping will sign on to this one:
- Indiana Center for Middle East Peace
- Jewish Voice for Peace - Indiana
- Veterans for Peace - Indiana
- Students for Justice in Palestine - IUPUI
- IUPUI Muslim Student Association
- IUPUI Interfaith Coalition for Palestine
- University of Indianapolis - Students for Justice in Palestine
- Indiana Palestine Solidarity Network
- Hoosier Unitarian Universalists for Justice in the Middle East (HUUJME)
- Christians for Peace and Justice in the Middle East - Indianapolis
- Indianapolis Peace and Justice Center
A list of your Indiana legislators can be found at:
Thank you, friends.